Thursday, October 27, 2016

Land of Dalí


After a few months in cool Copenhagen, I was homesick for heat, chaos, and that latin rumba. And so, as fall break arrived, we took off for Spain. Arriving in Madrid felt like an old friend wrapping me up in her arms. The honking traffic, warm air, and busy streetlife distracted me from months of Nordic silence and carried me into the city. Even if much of the madrileño slang was incomprehensible, the language on the street was punctuated with speakers from different corners of the latino universe whose speech and exclamations were crystal clear.

We spent a few days wandering Madrid and delighting in the cheap food and drink before catching a train to Málaga, Picasso's hometown....

Streets that radiate out of the main plaza..
 
Ambling around the Plaza Mayor
A miniature of a Spanish kitchen 
These birds made me think of Grandma... 
A bird of paradise (strelitzia) in Málaga
Panoramic view of Málaga from the old Phoenician ruins 

Soaking up the sun..

1 comment:

Max said...

That looks fantastic! I had a similar experience when I was studying in Scotland. We spent a November weekend soaking up the sun and the sights in Málaga and Granada.