Sunday, March 26, 2017

For Maggie, on her 80th

Through 30 years of marriage to Molly, every visit with you and Ken was an adventure. My God, the joys we shared, the troubles we confronted and the blessings we earned! From that first meeting when you picked us up in Glenwood Springs for the drive to Paonia, I felt acceptance and kinship. You were at the wheel of some beater and passed a joint to me in the backseat. I'll admit I felt a rush of relief when we made it into the valley after watching you round the curves on those mountain gravel roads with vertigo-inducing vistas. Six months later, we joined you and Ken in San Francisco and Sonoma, where your folks were then living. The highlight of that trip: walking into City Lights Bookstore, like a rube, browsing the shelves for a half hour and telling a staffer, "Hey, this is a pretty good bookstore." I assume it was Ken who gently pointed out to me its historic importance to American letters.

And then there were all the trips that followed. A night in Bonanza, a soak in Hemez hot springs, the Earth First! festival, our year in Crestone, driving those Mexican kids back to Tuscon, a visit with Elaine in  New Mexico. I could go on. In my memory, every encounter with you was such an intense family and cultural experience.

But the births were by far the highlights. Juniper's arrival last week reminded me of how much you helped us adjust to the shock of becoming parents. Your month-long stays with us for the births of Jasper and Claire were the greatest gifts you ever gave us. You calmed our fears, helped us through the endless labour that led to Jasper's birth and you kept that wild boy amused while we rushed off to the hospital for Claire's arrival.

And that was just the beginning. I admire how by being present at their births, you laid the solid foundation for enduring relationships with each of your grandchildren. Now that Molly and I have our own grandchildren, I see her following in your footsteps. John is as utterly devoted to her as our kids are to you. I hope, too, that I can be to John and Junie what you were to Jazz and Claire. You set a fine example for all of us.

So, I wish you the very best on this milestone birthday wherever you might be sojourning. As I write this, Claire is winging her way toward you. She brings hugs and love from all of us up here.

Rick




No comments: