Monday, January 23, 2017



For many weeks now I have been composing a message in my head in the spirit of the thread that Jasper, Darby, Ben, Tara and others started before Christmas.  I wanted to chime in with my admiration and awe at the ways you all were sharing your hopes and fears and ideas for how to live, for what to do with what Mary Oliver calls our « one wild and precious life ».  It was inspiring and challenging to read those exchanges.

The sharing itself is important and nourishing. I don’t think we need to seek consensus or sameness of choices and options.  Each of us is making paths by walking that teach us all something about the territory to be explored, the struggles and the dreams.  We are blessed to be in such good company during our journeys and when we return to campfires (and our blog!) to share our stories, our questions and dilemmas -- and to celebrate and sing our songs.


I have been gathering quotes that inspire me at this time of turning of the year, quotes that I hold in my pocket like worry stones to keep me connected to the larger heart of the world, and the many possible worlds that Arundhati Roy reminds us are (already) breathing all around us.  

After the US election I found the quote below from the Lord of the Rings that seemed appropriate and made me think of all of you :




 The voice of Frantz Fanon also came to me :

“Each generation must, out of relative obscurity, discover its mission, fulfill it, or betray it”.

And, then, from the late John Berger, this quote that Sally used so beautifully in her NFCB letter:

“It is not that we have hope – we shelter it”.

Last Saturday, we had a world day of resistance that was all about sheltering hope. Standing up, standing together, embracing our futures and affirming life and human dignity. Celebrating Mother Earth and all our diversity and beauty.  What a cause for joy – even while we know there are hard times ahead.

Let us continue to be people who shelter hope. Let us help each other to be the people we are waiting for.


 Meghan got the knitting going!
 Jenny, Nina, Allison, and John River in Ottawa
 Baby starts marching early!
 Rebecca in Seattle!
 Fraser and Claire marching in Montpellier, France

 Nancy (Fraser's mom- on the right) and her partner Sharon (centre) marching in Edmonton
 Our Denver contingent out in force!
 Meghan in her hat in Seattle




 Molly and Firoze in the pink in Montreal
Tara in Washington!

No comments: